Being a Healthy Dad
achieving positive goals
and you will give yourself
every opportunity to
Listen to Dr. Evan Adams as he talks about the importance of making healthy lifestyle choices. Find out what wisdom Dr. Adams learned from his own dad. What is Dr. Adams’ greatest hope for indigenous dads?
Click on the Video to start.
EASY recipes for Dads and Kids!
What Should be in YOUR Cart?
hover over the images for answers
Download this nutrition guide (pdf): Eating Well with First Nations, Inuit and Metis
All info from Health Canada.
Nutrition Labels 101
Let’s face it, reading a nutrition label can be more confusing. Here is an easy-to-use guide.
This indicates the size of one serving. Remember if you are eating two servings, it’s twice the amount of everything.
Calories tell you how much energy you get from each serving.
Daily Values (%DV)
Based on the daily value recommendations for key nutrients. Rule of thumb: 5%DV or less is a little and 15% or more is a lot.
Eat less of these
Saturated and Trans Fats (the unhealthy fats), Sodium and Sugar – High amounts of these nutrients hide in processed foods. For fats and sodium, use the %DV to make healthy choices. Beware: “Fat Free” isn’t always better – more sugar and salt are usually added for flavor! Polyunsaturated fats are the good fats.
Eat More of These
Eating more Fibre, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium and Iron improves your health.
Choose foods if possible with no added sugar. Tip: 4 grams of sugar equals 1 teaspoon (tsp). Adults should limit their daily sugar intake to a maximum of 52g (13 tsp) and kids to a maximum of 24g (6 tsp).
What are your workout habits? Find out how you compare to other dads!
You can vote once per day in each poll. It will show the results automatically.
- Outdoors 33%, 4 votes4 votes 33%4 votes - 33% of all votes
- Home 25%, 3 votes3 votes 25%3 votes - 25% of all votes
- Gym 25%, 3 votes3 votes 25%3 votes - 25% of all votes
- Space (when I can afford it) 8%, 1 vote1 vote 8%1 vote - 8% of all votes
- During team sports 8%, 1 vote1 vote 8%1 vote - 8% of all votes
- At work 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- Personal health 42%, 5 votes5 votes 42%5 votes - 42% of all votes
- A rockin playlist 25%, 3 votes3 votes 25%3 votes - 25% of all votes
- Physical appearance 17%, 2 votes2 votes 17%2 votes - 17% of all votes
- Sticky note on mirror 8%, 1 vote1 vote 8%1 vote - 8% of all votes
- My family 8%, 1 vote1 vote 8%1 vote - 8% of all votes
- Strength 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- 2-3 days per week 67%, 6 votes6 votes 67%6 votes - 67% of all votes
- 4-5 days per week 22%, 2 votes2 votes 22%2 votes - 22% of all votes
- On my birthday 11%, 1 vote1 vote 11%1 vote - 11% of all votes
- Less than 1 day per month 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- every day 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- 1 day per week 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes