Healthy Dad - Recipes
Speedy Sausage Stew
- 1 lb (450 g) sausage, cut in ½” slices (spicy sausage is ideal)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green pepper chopped (or red, yellow, orange)
- 1 can un-drained diced tomatoes (28 oz/796 ml)
- 1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed (19 oz/540 ml)
- 1 can chick peas drained and rinsed (19 oz/540 ml)
- ½ cup salsa (medium is good)
- 1 tsp ground cumin (substitute paprika or chili powder)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
Instructions: In large skillet, brown sausage in oil over medium heat. Remove sausage from pan. Drain fat from pan leaving enough to brown onion and garlic for about 5 minutes. Return sausage to pan and add the other ingredients. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve with pasta, rice or potatoes. Beans can be varied – be creative and use what you have.
Yield: 6 servings.