Healthy Dad - Recipes
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh diced tomatoes (3 medium)
- 1 cup (250 ml) canned navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (5.5 oz/156 mL) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) onion powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- ¼ cup (60 mL) grated light cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion sliced
Instructions: In a food processor, purée tomatoes, navy beans and tomato paste. Transfer to a large stock pot. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer over medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Portion into 4 bowls and top with a sprinkle of cheese and green onions.
Note: This recipe freezes really well. Portion into a lunch size meal and freeze your lunches for the week.
Yield: 4 servings.
A quarter of this recipe equals 323 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 16g protein, 61g carbohydrate, 12g fiber, 514mg sodium, 1,323mg potassium
Recipe courtesy of heartandstroke.on.ca